This is a taco salad you will definitely want to try and it has a lot of nutritional elements! Give it a try and let us know how you like it!
Terrific Taco Salad 4 servings
1 medium onion, chopped
½ pound 90% lean ground beef
½ package (about 2 Tbsp.) Old El Paso 40% less sodium taco seasoning mix
1 (12 oz.) can kidney, pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
6 cups chopped lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges
½ cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
½ cup of your favorite salsa
4 Tbsp. light sour cream (optional)
1. Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray (like PAM) and warm over
medium high heat.
2. Add onion and beef and cook until beef is browned (no pink left).
3. Add taco seasoning, beans and corn. Stir to mix well. Lower heat and
simmer until mixture is heated through – about 5 minutes.
4. Place 1 ½ cups of lettuce on each plate; spoon ¼ of meat mixture over the
5. Top each salad with tomato wedges, ¼ of the shredded cheese, ¼ of the
salsa and 1 Tbsp. sour cream.
6. Serve immediately!
Healthy Hint: Mix iceberg with darker green lettuces such as romaine or red leaf
to boost the vitamin content of your salad! You can leave out the beef for a
vegetarian version of this salad.
Nutrition Information per serving:
13 g total fat
6 g saturated fat
55 mg cholesterol
700 mg sodium
37 g carbohydrate
9 g dietary fiber
24 g protein
Good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron.