I found this recipe on Eatingwell.com and what caught my eye was that they displayed a whole section on cooking for two. My initial thought was not date night like some might think, but that I could make two servings and have the leftover serving for dinner the next night which saves me some time and effort. Or it could be a good date night meal. I did try it and I definitely recommend it, so check it out!
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, (see Note), minced, or 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound portobello mushroom caps, (about 2 1/2 medium), gills removed, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 6 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine barbecue sauce, tomato paste, vinegar and chipotle in a medium bowl.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until the onion and mushrooms are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the barbecue sauce; stir to combine. Wipe out the pan.
- Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread 3 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla and top with one-fourth (about 1/2 cup) of the filling. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer. Ground chipotle, made from dried smoked jalapeños, can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.